Friday, March 11, 2011

Pillow #1

I've made several pillows lately, but this is my favorite of them all!  I was reading this tutorial (fabric flower) and I thought it would make a cool pillow, so here it is!


I forgot to take pictures of my steps all along the way, but I do have a few to get you started.  (I'm new at this tutorial thing!)

Step 1:  Cut several strips of fabric about 2 1/2 inches wide at varying lengths.




You will also need a solid fabric for the body of the pillow.  I used an 18 inch square for the front and 2 18x12 inch pieces for the back.  You will needs two pieces for the back so you can make an overlapping sleeve.  Then you can slip your pillow form in.

Follow the tutorial link above to learn how to make the flower. You will just be making one on a much larger scale.  Once your pillow is sewn together and your strip is ready, use a large bowl to trace a large circle on the front of your pillow as a guide.  Then use your glue gun to glue your strip in a circular motion working from the outside in.

Once you reach the center, you can really finish it however you'd like.  I made a fabric rosette as my center.  I will post a tutorial for the rosette tomorrow.   I need to do better on the step by step process, but I was in a hurry today, and I forgot to take pictures along the way.

Here's a few pics of the details.



Stay tuned for a guest blogger with a cool cake tutorial!  

Aly

12 comments:

  1. I'm kind of addicted to throw pillows (it drives Dave nuts), and that might be my favorite one I've ever seen. I'm also strangely drawn to circles, so it really is my favorite ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just kinda need one of those pillows now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aly, you amaze me. That's all I have to say about that!
    I love you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pillow!! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE Aly! I bet your house looks amazing with all the crafty things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea, thank you for sharing! !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puedes visitarme en:http://www.marcelasusanatoledonespral.eu/

    Gracias...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know how long your pieced fabric strip was before you ruffled it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where’s the follow-up tutorial on making the rosette? Love it!

    ReplyDelete